01 October, 2009

Fall nostalgia in Stockholm





As I am writing this, we are in the middle of another freak downpour in Stockholm. It was sunny and the sky was blue, and I thought I heard someone flushing a toilet or something. But no, it was little tiny hail pellets followed by some lovely cold, gray rain. The weather report always shows a 10 to 20% chance of precipitation here, but its hit or miss as to whether anything actually falls from the sky. I have the windows open to hear it. Remind me of this when I inevitably complain of getting sick next week.

They turned the heat on in our building this week. I have heard that we are one of the first to have it on this year, and that many Stockholmers are complaining. Because its cold here.


Fuzzy & Bundled before going out.

Not too cold, but a brisk mid-50s during the day, and a chilly low 40s at night.
I love it. The air smells different, crisp and sometimes with a hint of a burning fire. The smell reminds me of every Columbus Day weekend of my childhood...about 15 close families would all travel over the holiday weekend in October to Deep Creek Lake, MD, and stay in cabins. We'd go hiking and see waterfalls, ride horses, buy apples & cider, have a huge party with a bonfire, and my personal favorite, the requisite trip to Candy Land (yes, aisles and aisles and aisles). We are actually traveling to Norway next weekend to see a friend who came to every one of those Deep Creek holidays (we decided to skip Berlin in favor of Oslo to get to see her.)

Obviously, Swedes don't celebrate Columbus Day, since their continent wasn't ¨discovered¨ by the man. Most don't even know there is such a thing in the US. Stu & I got married on Columbus Day weekend last year. Its one of my favorite holidays in my favorite month, and my mormor and morfar got married the same weekend in Sweden in 1941 (we even wear their wedding rings.) Granted in Virginia in 2008, Columbus Day was practically beach weather, and the sound of an ice cream truck could even be heard as we exchanged vows outside.

Its amazing what has changed in a year.




Maybe not so much a part of fall, but certainly fueling some nostalgia: I found American peanut butter last week. Twice the price of a jar of Nutella. I bought it, and promptly opened it & ate it out of the jar with a spoon. The brand: Mississippi Belle's, thankyouverymuch.

And the sun just came back out.

1 comment:

  1. Well,if it makes you feel better, it's getting cold here in Michigan also. It barely hit 60 today. I'm looking forward to our week in W'burg where it's supposed to be in the mid 70's. But I love the crisp air of Fall and the crunch of leaves underfoot. I'll drink dome cider in your honor!

    ReplyDelete