10 August, 2009

Barnflicka?

That literally translates to child girl, or nanny. And I think I might be one soon.
I have been sending my CV to any library or archives or museum job in Stockholm that I am remotely qualified for, since May! I also didn't think I had a work permit (and said so on my applications) but at the Skatteverket last week, I was told I can work!

I have a better advantage now that I am IN Stockholm, and have a local address (and today, will have a local phone number.) I have also been applying to jobs that require English, since my Swedish is on the level of a 4 year old. If even.

I had a "job interview" yesterday to work with a Swedish family as the nanny. And I can start next week, if I decide to take it! They have 3 cute kids, a toddler, a 4 year old (who speaks more languages than I do) and a 6 year old. Its not many hours...just part-time, 16 hours a week. And its not much money (but hey, its kroner, and the exchange rate keeps getting worse for us!)

It'd be a great gig if I got into school. It'd be a great part-time job to do while I looked for other work. But if I didn't get into school, and I was offered a job in a museum or library, I would feel terrible leaving the family in a lurch. Should I take it?

4 comments:

  1. I think you should totally take it! But maybe let them know your situation and how you are looking for a job in your field. If they are aware and understand that there is the possibility of you leaving then there should be no hard feelings when you do. Plus, you can really work on your Swedish since you and the four year old are on the same language level. :D Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nana on this one, Anne. I know the twins would often have a revolving nanny door in between steady ones, that's pretty par for the course in that field. Just be upfront with them. We miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points. I think of it as practice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, just caught up on the blog. how did the first day go? being a nanny sounds like a nightmare job to me, so i'm curious to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete